self raising flour
light brown sugar
butter (not margerine)
For the icing
500g Icing Sugar
3 tbsp of milk
Edible flowers (optional)
- Set oven to 180 degrees or gas mark 4
- easure the weight of 4 eggs - this will give you the weight for the other ingredients
- Cream together the butter and sugar until all of the lumps of butter have gone and you have a smooth and creamy mixture
- Next add the self-raising flour
- Crack in the eggs one at a time folding the flour in so that lots of air can get into the cake
- Add the remaining egg and vanilla essence.
- Grease two circular tins 20cm in diameter. Line these tins with greasproof paper
- Share the mixture between the two tins equally and bake for 20-25mins. When you stick a skewer or knife into the sponge it should come out clean.
- Once removed, take the cake out of the tin and rest on a wire cooler.
- hilst the cake is cooking make the butter icing by creaming together the butter and icing sugar with the back of a wooden spoon (add the icing sugar slowly as it can get quite messy)
- Add the milk to make the creaming easier.
- Your cake needs to be completey cool before icing otherwise the butter will just melt.
- Use half of your icing to sandwich the two layers together.
- With the remaining icing spread it on top of the cake.
- Decorate your cake with blueberries, strawberries and raspberries. If you have edible flowers then these look really good too!
- Eat your cake with friends with a cup of tea. Yum!